Thurs 9th Sept SEAWEED FORAGING COURSE with Tasters
Thurs 9th Sept, 12-3pm, Mawnan, nr Falmouth, Cornwall
Adults £45, under 16s £20, under 5s free
This course is led in a beautiful and un-spoilt area of south Cornwall, with the wide, rocky shore of Prisk cove, where we will be looking out to the great ocean herself and bask in a spectacular range of edible seaweeds at low tide.
Level of Walk: This course includes a walk across a couple of fields, over 1 or 2 stiles and down a small footpath onto a rocky beach. Approximately 1.5 miles.
Course outline and what to expect:
- - 8-10 seaweeds
- - Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- - Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- - How to dry and store seaweeds
- - Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- - Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. one of the following;
- – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread
- – hot spicy seaweed broth
- – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip
- – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- - Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- - Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.
What to wear: There will be a fair amount of standing around and it is often more breezy on the shore. Please bring/wear layers, a wind proof and weather appropriate clothing. Footwear you are happy to get a little wet, and feel comfortable and confident in for walking across potentially slippery rocks, e.g. wellies, sailing shoes or bare feet.
Meet: Outside Mawnan Church, Old Church Road, Mawnan, TR11 5HY
Min/Max numbers: 5-10 adults. You are welcome to come alone or with others. Covid regulations apply, please check my terms and government guidelines.
Transport and Car Parks: In private car park by the church: £2 (when last seen). Alternatively, you can park further up the lane (before you reach the church), for free. Lifts available from Penzance, please let me know if you can offer/need a lift.
What to Bring: Weather appropriate clothing, layers can be helpful. Bottle of water or drink, snacks (optional), any personal medication needed, sun lotion, camera, notebook and pen.