Mon 2nd May SEAWEED FORAGING COURSE with Tasters
Mon 2nd May, 11am-2pm, Mawnan, nr Falmouth, Cornwall
Adults £45, under 16s £20, under 5s free
This spring seaweed foraging course is led in a beautiful and un-spoilt area of south Cornwall, with the wide, rocky shore of Prisk cove, where we will be looking out to the great ocean herself and bask in a spectacular range of edible seaweeds at a SPECTACULAR low tide.
Level of Walk: This course includes a walk across a couple of fields, over 1 or 2 stiles and down a small footpath onto a rocky beach. Approximately 1.5 miles.
Seaweed Foraging Course, what to expect:
- – 8-10 seaweeds
- – Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- – Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- – How to dry and store seaweeds
- – Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- – Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. one of the following;
- – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread
- – hot spicy seaweed broth
- – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip
- – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- – Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- – Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.
What to wear: There will be a fair amount of standing around and it is often more breezy on the shore. Please bring/wear layers, a wind proof and weather appropriate clothing. Footwear you are happy to get a little wet, and feel comfortable and confident in for walking across potentially slippery rocks, e.g. wellies, sailing shoes or bare feet.
Meet: Outside St Mawnan and St Stephen's Church, Old Church Road, Mawnan, TR11 5HY
Directions: Old Church road is where Maenporth road and Carwinion road meet. Follow the road down to the end (it will wind around a few bends).
Min/Max numbers: 5-10 adults. You are welcome to come alone or with others. Covid regulations apply, please check my terms and government guidelines.
Transport and Car Parks: In private car park by the church: £2 (when last seen). Alternatively, you can park further up the lane (before you reach the church), for free. Lifts available from Penzance, please let me know if you can offer/need a lift.
What to Bring: Scissors for cutting seaweed. Weather appropriate clothing, layers can be helpful. Bottle of water or drink, snacks (optional), any personal medication needed, sun lotion, camera, notebook and pen. You may want to bring a torch for this event (for extra visibility on the return walk).
Dogs: Please don't assume you can bring your dog, you may have to make provisions for him/her not to be with you your during the course. Please ask before booking.