Sat 26th Jun SEAWEED FORAGING COURSE with Tasters
Sat 26th June, 12.30-3.30pm St Anthony in Meanage, nr Helford, Cornwall
Adults £45, under 16s £20, under 5s free
This mid-summer seaweed foraging course with tasters is run down the end of a windy road on the Lizard peninsula. A beautifully un-spoilt area, which is also great for sailing and boating. St Anthony-in-Meanage also reveals a wonderful range of seaweeds at low tide.
Level of Walk: The walk is only about 1.5 miles, though gets increasingly tricky as you have to navigate over rocks that can easily make it feel that the seaweeds are out of reach. This venue is for those who feel comfortable clambering over a fair amount of potentially slippery rocks.
Mid-Summer Seaweed Foraging Course, what to expect:
- - 8-10 seaweeds
- - Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- - Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- - How to dry and store seaweeds
- - Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- - Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. one of the following;
- – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread
- – hot spicy seaweed broth
- – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip
- – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- - Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- - Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.
What to wear: There will be a fair amount of standing around and it is often more breezy on the shore. Please bring/wear layers, a wind proof and weather appropriate clothing. Footwear you are happy to get a little wet, and feel comfortable and confident in for walking across potentially slippery rocks, e.g. wellies, sailing shoes or bare feet.
Meet: Waterfront, St. Anthony in Meanage, Manaccan, Helston, Cornwall TR12 6JW
Transport and Parking: Accessible by car, bike, and there is a ferry to the village of Helford and then a 3 mile coastal walk. Please let me know if you can offer or need a lift. There is a pay and display car park opposite the waterfront (to the right of the church).
What to Bring: Weather appropriate clothing, layers can be helpful. Bottle of water or drink, snacks (optional), any personal medication needed, sun lotion, camera, notebook and pen.
Min/Max numbers: 5-12 adults. You are welcome to come alone or with others. Covid regulations apply, please check my terms and government guidelines.