Tues 13th July SEAWEED FORAGING COURSE with Tasters
Tues 13th July, 1-4pm Gyllyngvase, Falmouth, Cornwall
Adults £45, under 16s £20, under 5s free
This seaweed course with tasters is led in an accessible area on the edge of Falmouth. The beach and sea water has a good water quality/standard and has a wonderful range of seaweeds.
Level of walk: We will walk across the beach, around rock pools, and we use the steady walking surface of an outflow pipe to easily access seaweeds further out towards the sea. This is an accessible venue.
Course outline and what to expect:
- - 8-10 seaweeds
- - Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- - Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- - How to dry and store seaweeds
- - Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- - Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. one of the following;
- – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread
- – hot spicy seaweed broth
- – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip
- – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- - Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- - Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.
What to wear: There will be a fair amount of standing around and it is often more breezy on the shore. Please bring/wear layers, a wind proof and weather appropriate clothing. Footwear you are happy to get a little wet, and feel comfortable and confident in for walking across potentially slippery rocks, e.g. wellies, sailing shoes or bare feet.
Meet: Top of Gyllyngvase beach, to the right of the cafe, off Cliff Road, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 4PA
Transport and parking: Parking available on nearby roadsides or in nearby car park. 15 minute walk from Falmouth town train station. Do let me know if you can offer or need a lift.
What to Bring: Weather appropriate clothing, layers can be helpful. Bottle of water or drink, snacks (optional), any personal medication needed, sun lotion, camera, notebook and pen.
Min/Max numbers: 5-10 adults. You are welcome to come alone or with others. Covid regulations apply, please check my terms and government guidelines.
Read More: Check out the seaweed blog to find out more about seaweed and what might be covered.