Sun 11th Sept SEAWEED FORAGING COURSE with Tasters
Sun 11th Sept, 10.30-1.30pm Prussia Cove, Cornwall
Adults £45, under 16s £20, under 5s free
This seaweed foraging course is run at the beautiful setting of Prussia Cove, with an old-England feel and sightings of St Michael's Mount. We will walk away from the popular Prussia Cove to a less used beach where the tide will reveal a fantastic range of seaweeds.
Level of walk: The walk is approximately 1.5 miles. It includes quite a steep though small slipway down to the beach and rocks and rock pools that can be slippery to be around.
Prussia Cove Seaweed Foraging Course, what to expect:
- - 8-10 seaweeds
- - Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- - Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- - How to dry and store seaweeds
- - Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- - Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. one of the following;
- – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread
- – hot spicy seaweed broth
- – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip
- – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- - Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- - Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.
What to wear: There will be a fair amount of standing around and it is often more breezy on the shore. Please bring/wear layers, a wind proof and weather appropriate clothing. Footwear you are happy to get a little wet, and feel comfortable and confident in for walking across potentially slippery rocks, e.g. wellies, sailing shoes or bare feet.
Meet: Car park at Porth-en-Alls, Prussia Cove, Penzance, Cornwall, TR20 9BA
Directions: Take the turning for Prussia cove off the A394 and follow the road to the end. You will pass a large house on the left where the road bends to the right, go straight ahead here (not left through a gate and down to the coast) and into the free car park.
Transport and Car Parks: Buses from Falmouth and Penzance to Falmouth Packet Inn, where you can walk 1/1.5miles down to the meeting place. Please let me know if you can offer/need a lift. Following the single road down to Prussia Cove, the free car park is clearly marked ahead of you after you pass the large house on the left corner.
What to Bring: Weather appropriate clothing, layers can be helpful. Bottle of water or drink, snacks (optional), any personal medication needed, sun lotion, camera, notebook and pen.
Min/Max numbers: 5-11 adults. You are welcome to come alone or with a loved one/s. Covid regulations apply, please check my terms and government guidelines.
Dogs: Please don't assume you can bring your dog, you may have to make provisions for him/her not to be with you your during the course. Please ask before booking.